Saturday, March 17, 2007

Slow down

9 miles today with 6 at current marathon pace. I had a hard time keeping the pace where I wanted it to be.. around 7:12-7:15/mile. I was trying to slow down a little this week based on Mystery Coach's suggestion after last week's back-to-back and evaluation runs. The 6 miles broke down like this: 7:07 (172), 7:07 (175), 7:09 (171), 7:18 (169), 7:01 (174), 7:09 (168). I have really lost my ability to judge pace... it is frustrating. I used to love being able to hit a 400 in the exact time that my coach would ask for... it was neat to be that tuned in to pace. I found that every time I let my mind wander a little today I would drop down around 7:00 pace. I'd slow down to try to get back on track but eventually the pace would drop down again... except for mile 4. But then I freaked out because it was a little slower than I expected it to be and took off like a nut for mile 5. Overall I feel pretty good about the effort. It felt really controlled and my legs definitely wanted to go faster.

63 miles for the week.

1 comment:

Mike said...

It's a good run when you keep having to slow yourself down. Being able to bounce back quickly and feeling like putting in a strong run by Tuesday has been a nice by-product of this for me (when I'm actually smart enough to back off a little).