Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Evaluation Run

Tuesdays have become the evaluation day. The plan was to try to hit the same pace this week as I did last week and monitor heart rate and recovery again. Last week I ran 3 miles in 6:32 (176), 6:28 (184), and 6:31 (191). The first mile today I could tell I was a little tired and my legs were heavy.. I was having a hard time sticking to a pace and came through a little fast in 6:28 (178). Mile 2 felt a little better and the heaviness seemed to lift a little.. 6:28 (184). I felt a lot more tired this week on the last mile than I remember feeling last week... it was also a little faster than it should have been.. 6:24 (184). I recovered to 130 in 1:26 and 120 in 1:56 so recovery was a little slower this week but overall average heart rate was lower and pace was a little quicker. But what does it all mean?

Yesterday was an easy 7 on the treadmill. My knee was a little sore on Sunday but felt fine yesterday and today.

3 comments:

Mystery Coach said...

What does it mean? You're running about 10-15 seconds too fast per mile. If you run just 3% slower your body has the ability to 1.5 run times further (but keep your distance the same). The training effects are almost exactly the same, so backing off a little will speed your recovery greatly. Think optimum not maximum. If you can get almost the same effect with 2/3 the stress take that every time. Save the maximum for racing.

Next week try 6:40 and on your next back to back try 10 seconds slower per mile on the fast parts.

cindy said...

Thanks for the advice Mystery Coach. I have been following Eric's schedule somewhat but we have been adjusting paces and mileage because I am running the half marathon in May (no plans to run a marathon right now). I didn't know if I needed to be running these a little quicker because my half pace will be quicker than what my marathon pace would be. I've been a little concerned that I am not incorporating enough speed in my training.

Mystery Coach said...

Cindy, Actually the back to backs for a half-marathoner (even a half-miler) should be the same for conditioning as a marathoner. Just because you'll be racing at a faster pace does not mean your steady state is at a higher level. Arthur's conditioning system is based on building the steady state up not on tolerating a faster pace (which is the method most coaches believe in). Once the base is built properly (all the fibers are conditioned) then the peaking (anaerobic tolerance training) to allow for racing at the pace you want is added. I'll be posting at Mike's site about this sometime during the next week.