Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Evaluation Run

The plan for today was 3 miles at 6:30 pace while wearing the heart rate monitor to check recovery. Eric and I worked out our schedule so that I could do this outside instead of on the treadmill... thanks =) We have a 1200 meter loop by our house that is pretty clear of snow and ice right now so that is where I headed. 4 degrees (above zero!!) and a 9 mph wind... not too shabby. A 2 mile warm-up and I was ready to go. The first mile felt really relaxed.. 6:32. The second mile was more of a mental battle than anything. About halfway through I started thinking maybe I would stop at 2 or maybe 2.5 or maybe I should just suck it up and finish what I was out there to do. Mile 2 passed in 6:28 but I was still waffling about how much longer I wanted to keep up the effort. I could feel that I wasn't relaxed anymore and not surprising when I checked my pace I had slowed to 6:38. Finally I got my head in the right place (thanks jackelope) and I focused on relaxing.. a quick look at the watch showed that I was back (6:22 pace). Mile 3 ended up being a 6:31 and a good lesson in what running relaxed can do for me. The most surprising part of the whole workout was the recovery. I have a pretty high max heart rate (don't know what it is for sure)... my average heart rates were 176, 184, and 191 and I was recovered to 130 in 1:22, 120 in 1:41, and 105 in 2:01. I didn't think I would recover that quickly. It has been 5 months since I have been back running again and I am surprised at what I have gained in that time. I ran the equivalent of a 20:10 5k today and while it was challenging it certainly wasn't a race effort. I am looking forward to racing now.. I have a 5k planned for April 14.

Yesterday I had to cut my recovery run short.. my left IT band was tight after Sunday's run and my knee hurt bad enough at 3 miles that I knew I needed to stop. A lot of stretching and icing paid off because it felt fine today.

Monday- 3 miles
Tuesday- 7 miles with 3 mile evaluation (6:32, 6:28, 6:31)

3 comments:

Eric said...

You got a pink kink in your think! Good job on your eval today. You couldn't see yourself, but you looked awesome.

Keep stretching and icing, and make me something for dinner!

R2B said...

Nice work out there!
Sometimes your head needs to just relax and let your body do the same!

Happy trails
R2B

Thomas said...

Very nice running indeed.

Sounds like someone has been studying Mike Salkowski's Mystery Coach's methods to come up with that workout.