Monday, January 01, 2007

Winter Wonderland

This weather this winter has been quite strange... too warm and very little snow. Up until Saturday night what little precipitation we have had has been mostly in the form of freezing rain. It caused some pretty slippery conditions for a while but the roads finally cleared off a few weeks ago and we have had great running conditions. That all changed this weekend... 7 inches of snow fell Saturday night. The roads hadn't been plowed yet Sunday morning and not many people had cleared sidewalks so the long run was postponed until today. I made it out for an easy 7 yesterday on some pretty poor footing.. my best bet was running in wheel tracks but the lose snow made it tricky. I was happy to make it home with only one fall.

The roads were better today.. compacted snow with some slippery spots but overall not too bad. It was pretty cold... -1 but no wind so it didn't feel too bad. I made it out for 15 miles with an average pace of 8:11. It took a few miles to get used to the footing and being bundled up so much. Once I settled in I felt pretty good. The pace never came down under 8:00/mile but I think it was mostly due to the footing. Overall I am happy with the run and a few hours after I actually don't even feel like I ran. Pretty good feeling.

No comments: