Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cold probably doesn't quite describe it...

Hmmm... 13 below zero with a 15 mph north wind to make the wind chill a whopping 35 below zero. It was a pretty chilly morning but I really really really wanted to run outside. I am bored on the treadmill and it is always easier for me to settle in to a faster pace outside. So I toughed it out for 15 miles. I stayed within 2 miles of home and did lots of looping back and forth to try to stay out of the wind as much as possible. There were a couple of times where my hands started burning and I couldn't move my fingers very well so I would head for home thinking that I would have to finish on the mill but both times I managed to get the blood flowing by moving my fingers as best as I could and that was enough to make the feeling pass.

Anyway.. the run! It was my best long run so far. 15 miles in 1:55:09 (7:40 pace). The last 8 miles were sub 7:30 (with the exception of mile 10) and I finished in 7:00. I felt great and if it hadn't been so cold I may have convinced myself to go a couple more. As it was I was just too excited to be done to even consider going more. 6 hours post run I feel great... a little tired but no soreness of any kind.

2 comments:

Evan Roberts said...

Followed the link from Eric's blog ... What gloves do you wear in those temps. The one time last winter it got near those temps in Minneapolis the Swix lobster mitts kept my fingers really warm.

cindy said...

Thanks for the tip, Evan. I do need some new mittens... I usually just wear a pair of fleece ones that I have had since high school. The problem I normally have with my hands is that they get too warm and I have some weird issue where I feel restricted when my hands are bundled up too much. Being that it was so could though, I was wearing a pair of Eric's wind proof shells that really work well. I didn't want to wear my mittens underneath though... back to that weird issue I have. So I had a pair of thin gloves on that didn't do the trick. It's probably time to go buy some new ones...