Saturday, August 04, 2007

Bad Day

Today was an odd day... there was a small 5k down in the park this morning (the local high school cross country team hosts the meet every August). It is usually a pretty small meet with mostly the high school runners and a few of the regulars in town. This year they changed the course so that it was completely on grass through the frisbee golf course which meant that it was pretty rough. I thought I felt ok at the start of the race although it was getting pretty hot already (it didn't start until 9:00 so it was high 60's, 89% humidity and 60 something dewpoint).

Pretty much as soon as we started racing I knew that I didn't feel good. It was really hard to find a rhythm which could have been due to the rough course but I just didn't feel like I had any go in my legs. I came through the first mile in 6:14... bad sign as I ran the first mile of the 5k a couple of weeks ago in 6:03 and felt fantastic. I gave it a little more time thinking that sometimes it just takes a little while to get going but it just kept going downhill... before I knew it I was running close to 7:00 pace and just felt like I was running through mud. I eventually dropped out just after the 2 mile mark (something I have never done but it really felt pointless to continue slogging on). It was interesting to see the HR data as it showed that I had averaged 194 for the second mile (which only ended up being a 6:59). Not a fun time!

No comments: