Thursday, August 02, 2007

And so it begins...

The kiddos started daycare yesterday. I don't start school until Monday but am bringing them this week for a few hours/day to hopefully make it a smoother transition. Other than a few issues (including watching a mommy and daddy show... Elle's description), it seemed to go ok. We are really careful about how much and what type of television that Elle and Owen are exposed to so to hear that they watched a show (and not even a cartoon) during the not quite 3 hours that they were there didn't make me too happy. But sometimes Elle doesn't describe things as they really happen so I will have to wait to hear Laurie's version before I get too upset. It was my understanding (and one of the reasons why we chose this particular provider) that the kids only watched a cartoon as they settled down before lunch/nap... which is how we structured our day at home too. It was really crazy when we were looking for providers how many of them allowed the kids to watch 2+ hours of tv a day. But enough of that...

6 miles today with a few ~200m strides. Legs felt really good.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I guess we're lucky that Haiden's preschool doesn't have any TVs. She also can get a bit "creative" in the retelling of a day's worth of activity away from home. She had me convinced that a teacher had locked a student in a locker for a few minutes before I got the real story.

Thomas said...

I wouldn't send my kids to a place where they let them watch TV either. The two places where we had our kids didn't even have a telly. I want my children to play and meet friends there, not to be glued to the box.

cindy said...

Mike, I'd love to hear the real story =)

Thankfully we were able to work through the problem very easily and Elle reported no TV watching at all on Thursday and Friday. She also did not want to leave on Friday which I thought was a good sign. It was fun to see both of them enjoying themselves with the other kids.

Mike said...

It ended up being a matter of the teacher making a student put a personal item in the locker that she wasn't allowed to bring to school in the first place. I have to admit that when I saw the "locker" was really an open cubby a bit bigger than a breadbox I was a little relieved though.