Wednesday, July 04, 2007

10k

40:51 for 2nd place (9th overall). Here is the breakdown:

3:48 (184) | 3:58 (186) | 4:00 (189) | 4:03 (189)
3:56 (189) | 4:09 (191) | 4:05 (191) | 4:07 (190)
4:12 (191) | 3:50 (193)

Max HR was 203. It was pretty hot out on the course... it was mostly on an asphalt bike path with no shade. It was about 77 at the start of the race and we had to stand around in the sun for an extra 15 minutes waiting for the race to start.

I am disappointed because I let myself shut down a little after the first place girl starting pulling away. Instead of being mentally tough I started telling myself... she's 10 years younger than I am, she was the conference champion in the 10K this spring, blah blah blah.

Anyway it's probably ok because my legs feel really good a few hours after the race.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Did you and Eric have the exact same race?

I think mental toughness is an incredibly difficult thing to master. During a marathon I feel I actually have to try and divert my attention and space out for the first half, just to save my focus for what is always a tough last 8 miles. For a 5 or 10K I think it's more difficult because you have to maintain that razor-like focus for the entire race if you want to stay in it and win it. The most important thing in the world and the only thing that matters has to be pulling back that jersey in front of you, then keeping it behind you to the line. Some days we have it, some days we don't, and some days we have it until suddenly we don't.

Nice race today, I imagine you'll have another chance against the winner to even the score. Hope the 4th wasn't all work!